- Senior Sustainability Scientist, Global Institute of Sustainability and Innovation
- Associate Professor, School of Sustainable Engineering and the Built Environment, Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering
- Director, National Center of Excellence on SMART Innovations
Dr. Kaloush is a registered professional engineer specializing in pavements and materials. He is the co-founder and director of the National Center of Excellence on SMART Innovations, chair of the Transportation Research Board subcommittee on Pavement Materials and the Urban Climate, and faculty advisor for the ASCE student chapter. His research interests include both asphalt and Portland cement concrete mixtures design, characterization, advanced laboratory testing, and field performance evaluation. Dr. Kaloush is also known for his work on modified pavement systems that include the utilization of crumb rubber and fibers. Dr. Kaloush teaches courses on highway materials and construction, performance evaluation and management, and sustainable materials and energy use.
- PhD, Civil Engineering, Arizona State University, 2001
- MS, Civil Engineering, Ohio State University, 1984
- BS, Civil Engineering, Ohio State University, 1982
- advanced laboratory testing
- field performance evaluation
- maintenance techniques
- rehabilitation techniques
- materials science pavement
- urban heat island
- crumb-rubber applications
- statistical methods
- modeling and simulation
Kaloush, K. E., G. Way and H. Zhu. 2005. Properties of crumb rubber concrete. (link )
Hartz, D. A., J. S. Golden, A. J. Brazel, B. C. Hedquist and K. E. Kaloush. 2006. Case study of thermographic observations of surface materials' cooling rates and neighborhood design in suburban Phoenix, Arizona. Poster presented at the January 28, 2006 American Meteorological Society's Sixth Symposium on the Urban Environment, Atlanta, GA.
Carlson, J. D., J. Jo, K. E. Kaloush and J. S. Golden. 2009. Evaluating the energy balance of alternate parking lot materials in hot arid climates. Presentation at the January 2009 American Meteorological Society UrbEnv Symposium.
Kaloush, K. E. and P. Phelan. 2006. Techniques to evaluate the role of materials in forming the UHI. Presented at the 24 April 2006 Cool Pavements Conference, Arizona State University, Tempe. (link )