The UCRC will be making available small awards to affiliated faculty to provide support that will increase the visibility of faculty and the center as well as enhance the ability of the center and its faculty affiliates to secure external research funding and generate high-profile publications. As a general rule, each request can be for up to $4k and should not include salary support for faculty. Examples of appropriate categories of requests include but are not limited to:
- Summer funding for undergraduate or graduate students to gather data or further the goals of a developing project
- Software license fees or data set, ideally for a resource that can be shared across the center
- Small items or minor equipment that would be of general benefit to the UCRC and eventually be a resource for other UCRC faculty and their students
- Travel support for faculty or students to attend and present at high profile conferences/meetings
This is the second request for proposals this academic year. The deadline is Friday March 15, 2019. Only current faculty affiliates of the UCRC are eligible, and a faculty member may not receive more than one award per AY. Requests should come directly from a faculty affiliate and be no more than 1 page in length, although attachments may be included as appropriate (e.g. a 2-pg CV for any students involved in the request). The proposal (pdf) should be sent to email@example.com and must include the following:
- Contact—include name of faculty affiliate requesting funds, school, and contact email
- Purpose – provide a brief background of why the funds are being requested and how they advance the faculty member’s research and the goals of the center
- Budget – provide an informal but specific budget indicating the total amount of the request and specifically, how the funds are to be spent.
The budget for the UCRC Pilot Project Fund is $16k for the 2018-2019 academic year. A small panel from our leadership team will review requests and make recommendations. Our goal is to have final decisions announced within 3 weeks of the proposal deadline.
Please keep in mind that we expect all UCRC faculty affiliates to work to promote the success of the center, including by acknowledging this affiliation in presentations/publications and by associating relevant ASU proposal activities with our Center Code:CC1042; Urban Climate Research Center.