Shots?!

rachel-hudgens

Shots?!

Today I faced my biggest fear. In preparation for my journey I had to go get shots. I had to update my TDAP (tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis) and Hepatitis A. I’m also going to be getting pills for Malaria and Typhoid.

I have gotten out of getting shots since going into high school. That’s six years ago — for those keeping track at home. I don’t take shots well, I collect all this anticipation and anxiety before the shot. My hands get clammy (to be fair, they are almost always clammy), I start feeling weak, fight or flight kicks in; it’s a fun time for everyone involved if you can’t tell.

This time was different. I collected myself and took the shots like a trooper. The second shot felt a little worse than the first one. I also felt a little dizzy when I stood up after the injections. I sat back down and drank some water and I was fine.

Needless to say, the immunizations are going to be worth it. My study abroad experience is just 38 days away. I could not let my fear of needles impact my travel plans. Sometimes you have to be a big girl and do the things you don’t like in order to do the things you want to. I have been so lucky as to have been accepted to go on a three week long study abroad trip to Nepal. This opportunity was offered through Arizona State University’s School of Sustainability.

This trip became even more of a reality when I was informed that I received a scholarship from Rob and Melani Walton which covers about half of my overall expenses for this trip. I am so grateful to be going on this adventure and I am lucky to be going with such a great team. I have cleared my biggest hurtle and now it’s time for the fun part.