From Exeter to London

miranda-kincade

From Exeter to London

Research comparisons:
The last few weeks we have spent in England. For a while we were in Exeter, then we moved to Bristol and then finally we ended up in London. That was an amazing experience. The contrast of English priorities as discovered by our research is quite different than Danish priorities. We discovered that the Danes have community gardens more for the social connections as well as the enjoyment of being in a green space. The English on the other hand have a strong history of food producing allotments and that is the main function of their urban agriculture. Both ideals increase resilience of the cities as well as the citizens.

Miranda Kincade_1
Traveling:
There has been a great deal of traveling involved on this trip and it has had its challenges. Twenty people trying to get anywhere is a bit like herding cats but it is especially difficult when trying to get on trains with 20 suitcases and backpacks and all the other travelers. Professor Jenny Hodbod did an amazing job of keeping everyone organized and safe. She was absolutely pivotal to the success of this trip. She arranged ticket and travel plans. She even emailed and messaged every person details of the following day so everyone could get to where we needed to go. She went above and beyond. It was much appreciated.

Food:
The food was fantastic. The Danes have the best pastries but England has some good food to. I recommend food tours for anyone who travels to another country. It is the best way to meet and engage new people as well as immerse yourself into the culture. Not to mention it is good in your belly. Thus far I have had traditional Thai, Indian and Lebanese food. I would not have tried any of those if I had not been on this trip.

Miranda Kincade_group shot
Closing thoughts:
London and Bristol were my favorite cities. There is so much to do in both places that I am planning on returning in the future. I highly recommend them for anyone who wishes to travel. This trip has been a wonderful learning experience and I am grateful that I was able to participate.