A Different Perspective

Kimberly Castillo

A Different Perspective

Brazil was a whirlwind experience. I felt like I was there much longer than three weeks because of all the new experiences I had there. Seeing the stark contrast of Brazil and America is something that will stay with me for the rest of my life. Sustainability is different in each part of the world and that is the most important thing I learned abroad.

While there I was completely immersed in social and cultural experiences. In Sao Paulo I learned about how serious their water crisis is. Most of the city doesn’t have water after a certain time because the city shuts it off to conserve. I could never imagine anything like that happening in the United States. Restaurants can’t wash dishes and have to store water in order to cook. Families can’t take nightly showers. It really put things in perspective for me. Americans are so privileged and we seem to be the most wasteful. In Brazil, people seem to care a lot more about conserving water because there is no other choice.

MST FarmSince I’ve been back I have been much more mindful of my own habits and have picked up on other people’s wasteful tendencies. For example, when I go out to a restaurant and water is given I just look at all the unfinished glasses of water left on the table from people who have just finished. Sometimes glasses are left completely full and the restaurant has to throw that water out! This is something I never saw in Brazil. Everyone always finished their food and drinks or they took it home. I always make sure to finish my water and tell my friends I’m with to finish it or take it with them. I am also more mindful of my shower times. Even before the trip I never took very long showers, but afterwards I’m now averaging ten minute showers.

I think Americans take a lot of things for granted that we see as common necessities. For example, waste collection is not something Americans commonly have to worry about. Waste workers in America are also well paid and taken care of in their job. In Brazil, this could not have been further from the truth. Brazil’s waste system is extremely disorganized and it is common to see bags of rotting garbage all along the roads. Waste pickers are one of the most undervalued groups of people in the country. They make next to nothing and their working conditions are very dangerous. Recycling is not as common there because there are so few waste centers let alone recycling centers. Most of the recycling is handpicked through and is tedious work. Apart from the waste system, Brazil’s sewer systems are also unorganized. A lot of the sewage pours into rivers running through the city. It makes the city smell and the government has cleaned up the river significantly. However, they still have a long way to go.

My trip made me overall more grateful for things people take for granted in this country. Since we are so privileged I believe Americans should be the example for the rest of the world. We are so fortunate and need to start respecting our resources and environment more so that we can sustain life on this planet. Money and other material things are clouding the bigger picture of caring for our environment, people’s rights and well-being.