People Just Don’t Get It…or Just Don’t Care

Siddhanth Paralkar

Two months back from Guatemala and it’s safe to say I am back in my normal routine. It took a few weeks to get out of the funk I was in. Depressed? No, I just felt like I was alone in my own little place, daydreaming of Guatemala. I certainly wasn’t alone. The parasite I brought back kept me company for a week or so. And it seemed like every day there was someone new asking “how was your trip?”. Unfortunately, it felt like a majority of them were not genuine questions. They seemed more like a common courtesy hello as opposed to really caring about the response that was to follow. Kind of like when people say ‘how are you?”. Most people aren’t expecting anything more than an “I’m good” and then continue on with their day. I just sensed a not really caring thing from people. And not so much about me per se, but most were disinterested in hearing about the issues and problems I witnessed in Guatemala. The comment “Yeah, that’s just how it is in those places” seems like it was a response option to a survey question, which everyone kept choosing.

For me, going to Guatemala and the after affects were similar to the movie The Matrix with Neo having the choice to take the blue or red pill. The blue pill was who I was before the trip – in my world of make-believe so to speak. Going to Guatemala was my form of taking the red pill and getting a glimpse of truly how deep the rabbit-hole goes. Though only a movie, it’s really the best example that describes how things have changed and now see things a little differently. Not all, but a lot of people live in this imaginary world and do not want to see or really think about the reality of problems that exist here and around the world. To steal a line from the movie when describing how people live inside this matrix world; “Ignorance is bliss”. Sometimes, people would rather just not know.

I am by no means perfect, nor will I make the claim that I wake-up everyday thinking about the people and problems of Guatemala. I get it. It’s very easy to get caught up in our daily lives, especially as a college student with my own problems. Do I have enough money to pay all my bills this month with some leftover for food? Is this the week my car breaks down? I hope not, I can’t afford to fix it right now. How do I get all this work done? We each have our own things, but now in a strange way I try to appreciate my so called problems and not view them as detrimental to life. Compared to what I saw in Guatemala, I at least have a sturdy roof over my head, access to clean water, nutritious food, very good healthcare, reliable energy and waste management, with better job opportunities. I am now more aware that these are my luxuries. So, I now try to see things in a different way; it can always be worse, I’ve seen it.

Our group went down to Guatemala to study happiness and how it relates to sustainability. It turns out that Guatemalans are some of the happiest people in the world, while Americans are some of the unhappiest. Why is this? From an economic and environmental perspective, the U.S. hands down exceeds Guatemalan standards. The noticeable difference was with the people, it was the social interactions between family and community which made the biggest difference. It is this socially minded mentality which turns out to be a driver of happiness. The best line I heard from a local was “we might not have much and we might only be eating beans and tortillas, but at least we are eating them with our family”.

My views have changed a bit since being home. Living here in the Scottsdale/Tempe area (or basically the U.S.), I realize how fortunate I am. I have everything I could ever want or need all within a few mile of me; just think of it and I’ll bet you can find it close-bye. Since being back I took inventory of all my material “stuff” and realized just how much crap I have. Most of which I would say I don’t really need or use, nor does it increase my happiness by having it. I hear people wanting to buy the next this and the next that with the idea that these things will make their life better. Initially it might bring some enjoyment and happiness. However it’s short lived; then it’s off to buy the next thing that will make them happy. This is not new, I heard it all before and have been guilty of it myself; but now this concept seems silly to me. We in the first world countries are in this vicious cycle of buying things over and over in hopes of it providing some happiness. Now more than ever I understand that this is wrong on so many levels and in no way is necessary for long term happiness.

It’s the social values of the Guatemalan people that we as a society can learn so much from. With social media, we are more connected today than ever before. Yet on a person to person or face to face level, we’ve never been so far apart. There are so many problems here at home and around the world in which things can be done to improve the lives of so many. But similar to what I experienced when I got back; I feel that most just don’t want to hear or think about it. This is why I have to assume that people just don’t get it or unfortunately just don’t care…