Anything can happen in Spain and Morocco

Starr_Lynnsee-headshot-web

Lynnsee Starr is a junior studying business sustainability and finance in the . She’s also working towards a minor in communications and an international business certificate. When she’s not studying, she’s busy managing the organization. This summer she visited Spain and Morocco with the Global Sustainability Studies Program. While there, Starr compared policymaking and gained global context of sustainable development.

What attracted you to the Spain and Morocco program?

One of the most important things to me when searching for a study abroad program is being able to visit a place I wouldn’t be able to visit otherwise. I wanted to visit a country that isn’t a typical vacation spot and for me, that is exactly what Morocco was. My interest peaked even more when I saw that I wouldn’t just get the chance to visit one continent, I would get the chance to visit two! If that wasn’t enough, I was also able to take a class required for my business sustainability major and be one step closer to completing my degree.

My fellow classmates and I had dinner at Dar Taliba, an all-girls boarding school in Morocco. We loved getting hennas and chatting with the girls!

A camel ride through the Sahara.

A camel ride through the Sahara.

Can you describe the sights, sounds, food, people, etc. that you experienced in Spain? How do they compare to Morocco?

The sights in Spain were very visually appealing. Every building in Spain looked like an elaborate castle. Even the post office in Madrid had amazing architecture and looked like a palace. There were many tall buildings in Spain which was very different than Morocco.

In Morocco, no building is allowed to be taller than the city mosques so buildings were much shorter than in Spain. However, the architecture was still very pretty. The food in Morocco is very different; the same thing is served for breakfast every day. Breakfast in Morocco is a loaf of bread with jam and a hardboiled egg. Dinner in Morocco is usually Tagine (a traditional Moroccan dish) or couscous. There are many opportunities in Morocco to try more exotic foods.

What is your favorite memory from your trip?

My favorite memory from the trip was staying at the Dar Taliba, an all-girls boarding school in Morocco. While staying at the Dar Taliba, the group was able to interact with the girls that lived there. The girls taught the group how to cook and gave us henna tattoos. After eating dinner, the girls would play music for us and teach us new dances. It was a great cultural experience that couldn’t be replicated elsewhere.

What was one main lesson you learned while studying abroad?

The main lesson I learned was to be flexible. While studying abroad, especially in a place like Morocco, anything can happen and plans frequently get changed. You have to be flexible and willing to try new experiences to obtain the full benefits of a study abroad trip.

How will this abroad experience impact your education at ASU?

Through this experience I have been able to gain first-hand cultural experience that cannot be taught through a textbook or classroom. I was able to meet with many Moroccans my age and talk to them about their lifestyles, career aspirations, values, etc. This type of information can only be acquired through cultural exchanges.

What are some particular lessons you learned that will help you in your business/finance classes?

Part of my business degree involves international business. I am also obtaining an international business certificate. While in both Spain and Morocco, I was able to meet with several business owners and gain firsthand insight as to how business is conducted abroad. The most important thing I learned that will help me in my future business career is that I need to be knowledgeable about a country’s culture before visiting the country. When conducting business in Morocco, it is customary to engage in small talk and chit-chat before talking about business. This custom is different from the U.S. where it is common to begin talking about business as soon as the conversation starts.

Would you recommend this program?

Yes! It was a great experience that I wouldn’t be able to gain outside of the study abroad program. I was introduced to many people and able to gain many experiences that wouldn’t be possible if I were to visit these countries by myself or with family.

What are your plans after graduation?

• Plan A: Attend law school
  • Plan B: Pursue my full time career
  • Plan C: Join the Peace Corps

Any of the above plans are possible; it will just depend where life decides to take me.

What does “sustainability” mean to you?

“Sustainability” means being able to sustain and/or preserve something for future generations. As a business sustainability major I believe all aspects of sustainability should be included in the definition, therefore sustainability could pertain to anything from the preservation of natural resources to shareholder wealth to a company’s profit margins.