Life after Morocco

Enjoying the rose festival in Morocco. Photo by Parker Helble.

Life after Morocco

I am home, safe and sound. Life is back to normal. I wake up to take my dogs out and feed them breakfast. Then I get my coffee, have breakfast, check my email and maybe (definitely) watch some Colbert Report. I do a few chores around the house, run some errands, take my dogs for a walk and lay by the pool. I make dinner, watch a movie (or two) and then I go to bed. Summer break is great, right?

The sun sets over the Sahara.

The sun sets over the Sahara.

Visiting the Palacio de Cristal in Madrid. Photo by Parker Helble.

But life isn’t back to normal. Because while I’m doing all of these things, while I’m going through the motions of my daily routine here at home, I’m constantly thinking about how different my life was in Morocco. (Life in Spain wasn’t drastically different from life at home.) Life in Morocco was exciting! Some days, I had no clue what to expect. But I loved every moment.

Life in Morocco changed me. I never imagined I would look at a Western-developed toilet with so much appreciation. But seriously, I have realized so many things that I take for granted here at home. Air conditioning, 24/7 internet access, my car, modern plumbing, reliable electricity, water that is safe to drink…the list goes on. Yet, I did just fine without all of these. I’m actually pretty proud of myself. I endured a terrible Moroccan stomach bug, a spider bite and sun rash (even though I wore SPF 45!). I joked with my parents (after assuring them that I was fine) that I was going to make myself a shirt that says, “I survived Morocco.” Still, even after all of that, I want to go back.

Life in Morocco inspired me. I think I get too caught up in homework and papers and tests and projects during the school year that I forget why I’m putting myself through it. This trip renewed my passion for wanting to make the world a better place. That’s why I chose to pursue a master’s degree at the School of Sustainability. It’s difficult, when we are in our school or work or home routine, to remember what exactly we’re working toward. So I am very thankful that I had the opportunity to go on such an amazing adventure and remind myself of the reason I chose sustainability.

I think a lot (I’ve been told I think too much) and all my thinking recently has brought to my mind the lyrics of a song by the Fleet Foxes, called Helplessness Blues:
“And now after some thinking, I’d say I’d rather be a functioning cog in some great machinery serving something beyond me.”
Life in Morocco challenged me. I know I can’t change the world all by myself. I’m an optimistic person, but I’m also a (mostly) realistic person. However, after this trip, I think I have a better idea of what part I want to play in the greater picture. So I will go back to school in August and finish my last two semesters, but with a much sharper focus and more determination than ever.

I would like to thank my professor and TA for putting this trip together and for sharing their love for Morocco with me. It definitely rubbed off. I would also like to thank Rob and Melani Walton. Without the scholarship they provided, this trip wouldn’t have been possible for me. And if you’re reading this and thinking about studying abroad, I have two words for you: DO IT.