Bicycles bring joy in every country

Lishewski-Amsterdam

Bicycles bring joy in every country

As I hopped on my bicycle this morning back in Arizona, my first thought was what a miserable hot ride I have ahead of me. As I turned the first corner my spirits were lifted when a little old lady smiled and wished me a wonderful day! I spent the rest of my ride soaking in the sunshine and reminiscing on my Amsterdam adventures.  Thinking about all of the meetings, lectures, discussions and running from one public transit to another, I am reminded of how thankful I am for the entire trip and simply how much I love to ride my bike! As I adjust back to work and the Arizona summer, I am challenged with how to continue life and expand on my new-found knowledge and experience.

I absorbed a lot of information the past two weeks and finally organized my thoughts into a few major themes. The biggest revelation I discovered was although Netherlands is in a strong leader in sustainable solutions, they too still have their fair share of complex problems. I realized we were not the only ones learning and benefiting from each lecture and discussion.  The professionals and individuals we met also gained new perspectives and ideas. I found the days that were most rewarding included more casual conversations between the students and guest lecturers, as well as the days we cycled each city.

If I had to choose the best part of my two weeks in Amsterdam, besides singing “I like to ride my bicycle” with the professors, it would be feeling excited again about sustainable solutions.  So often in sustainability we become bogged down with everything wrong and have no clue where to even begin a solution! Seeing and experiencing mobility solutions like cycling and pedestrian infrastructure, transit-oriented development and actually talking with the individuals that made them possible was extremely motivating. As busy and tired as I felt by the end of the trip, I was anxious to get home and apply my knowledge and excitement. Above all I am beyond thankful for this enriching experience as well as the privilege to start each day with a bike ride!