Groningen: Bicycle capital of the world

Lishewski-Amsterdam

Groningen: Bicycle capital of the world

Over the past few days we have been exploring , the northern-most major city of the Netherlands. The city is home to one of the country’s and 60 percent of its inhabitants travel by bicycle. The city resembles a smaller Amsterdam with small winding streets, beautiful parks and breathtaking architecture.

Just like most cities during the 1960s, Groningen was very car-dependent. Fifty years later the city has become a !  The city center that was once run by cars and buses is now home to beautiful open space used for everything from Saturday morning food markets to celebrating the basketball team’s championship win (we experienced both!).

It is hard to imagine any modern city today that could completely transform itself like Groningen. I am beyond ecstatic that I had the opportunity to experience the city in person as well as talk with some of the individuals that made it possible. The city’s success can be attributed to these people as well as the community itself and their determination to make the city a safer, happier and healthier place to live.

Isabelle Lishewski Groningen bike

Students visited an IKEA store and got to try out its cargo bikes.

After always hearing about sustainable problems that seem impossible to solve, it was very refreshing to hear and see a city that accomplished sustainable solutions. I was happy to have experienced Groningen but very sad come time to leave. Even visiting for a few days I felt right at home. I wouldn’t mind living in Groningen or a similar city one day. I am looking forward to the next few days to relax a little and soak in everything I have learned and seen!