Pre-Departure

Pre-Departure

Dubai is now known as the “City of Gold.” Money is plentiful and the overabundance of accumulated wealth has been used to develop a city where there once was just a small fishing village…In other words, they “do buy” into the idea of an international city with a modern cosmopolitan lifestyle. The brand new urban infrastructure is a breeding ground for capitalism and investment. The astonishing developments have captured the imaginations of people all around the world, including myself. I have been intrigued by the numerous projects and impressed by the ambitions of the Emirati people and their leaders, especially the city’s new sustainability goals.

Speaking of goals, I am looking forward to achieving some of my own personal goals while in Dubai. I am keenly eager to participate in this study abroad program because it will assist me while I strive to achieve my academic and professional goals. I will benefit academically because I will have the opportunity to apply what I have learned in my sustainability courses to a completely different, but absolutely relevant context. Being equipped with the sustainability knowledge I have gained from ASU, while in Dubai, will enhance my experience there because I can actively engage with what I have learned. The experience will help me attain my professional goals because I would like to work in sustainable tourism development.

While in Dubai, I expect to learn about the city’s recent “reorientation towards sustainability for tourism development” and explore the “landmark sustainability projects such as the 1 GW solar energy park, the Dubai Pearl, and the eco-city of Masdar.” Additionally, I will have a chance to meet with some of the numerous sustainability professionals who work within the eco-city. I hope to bridge the gap from America by finding networking opportunities and establishing connections that might lead to a career after I graduate.