Created to address the urgent needs for affordable housing.
Stardust 2.0 Guiding Principles
- The mission of Stardust 2.0 is guided by these principles:
- Well-designed affordable housing is fundamental to the sustainability of every city and community. Affordability covers a range of household incomes, demographics, and cultural conditions that are underserved in a growing number of cities and communities in Arizona.
- Well-designed affordable housing should ideally be environmentally sustainable; responsive to cultural, social, and household needs; enhances and becomes an asset to the greater community; and is valued by residents; the Stardust Center supports student-led activities that strengthen the ability of families to obtain, remain in and manage their homes.
- Working with the community and getting their participation in design and planning decisions is key to successful development; the Stardust Center provides opportunities for students to engage directly with the community.
- Value-added knowledge and evidence-informed practice and teaching are instrumental in affecting changes in policy and practice as well as creating the future workforce necessary to develop sustainable communities.
- Expanding public awareness of the challenges and opportunities of affordable housing is essential to strengthening the community’s commitment to affordable housing.
The purpose of the Stardust Center for Affordable Homes and the Family is to empower families and achieve economic and social sustainability by providing educational opportunities like outreach events, university-level courses, and community resources that inform and promote sustainable, affordable housing.
The Stardust Center defines “housing affordability” as housing that covers a range of household incomes, demographics, and cultural conditions that are underserved in Arizona communities. Students in our courses engage directly with the community regarding housing preferences, livability, and needs. Using this knowledge, the Stardust Center informs future practices and policies regarding housing affordability, thus strengthening the community’s commitment to affordable and sustainable housing.