Director, Psychoacoustics Laboratory, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Department of Speech and Hearing Science
Arizona State University
PO Box 870102
Tempe, AZ 85287-0102
- Professor, Department of Speech and Hearing Science, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Director, Psychoacoustics Laboratory, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Sid Bacon served as the Dean of Natural Sciences for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences from December 2006 - June 2011. He oversaw the largest division in the college, with about 350 track faculty and annual research expenditures of $75 million. His own research is supported by grants from the National Institutes of Health; it focuses on the normal process of hearing and the effects of cochlear damage on that processing. He recently initiated a newly funded research program on electric-acoustic hearing.
Bacon joined the faculty at ASU in 1988, after having served as a professor and director of research at Vanderbilt University. He has held various leadership roles at ASU, including chair of the department of speech and hearing science. He is a fellow of the Acoustical Society of America and the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.
- PhD, Experimental Psychology, University of Minnesota, 1985
- MA, Audiology, University of Kansas-Lawrence, 1979
- BGS, Speech Pathology and Audiology, University of Kansas-Lawrence, 1977