This CBO project supports research, policy work and an examination of the rules governing the development and release of synthetic biology technology (the design, construction or manipulation of biology for useful purposes). In recent years, there have been efforts that, contrary to the conservation of species, focus on driving life forms such as pathogens to extinction. Programs designed to achieve these goals are also at work in the case of more complex organisms.
CBO project leads are organizing workshops to explore the impact of deliberate extinction and address a principal question around what circumstances might justify deliberately driving a species extinct.
- International Union for the Conservation of Nature
- World Health Organization
- The U.S. Center for Disease Control
- The World Organization for Animal Health
- the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
Center for Biodiversity Outcomes