Date Due: 03/06/17
Summary: The overarching goal of INFEWS is to catalyze well-integrated interdisciplinary and convergent research to transform scientific understanding of the FEW nexus (integrating all three components rather than addressing them separately), in order to improve system function and management, address system stress, increase resilience, and ensure sustainability. The NSF INFEWS initiative is designed to attain the following goals:
- Significantly advance our understanding of the food-energy-water system through quantitative, predictive and computational modeling, including support for relevant cyberinfrastructure;
- Develop real-time, cyber-enabled interfaces that improve understanding of the behavior of FEW systems and increase decision support capability;
- Enable research that will lead to innovative solutions to critical FEW systems problems; and
- Grow the scientific workforce capable of studying and managing the FEW system, through education and other professional development opportunities.
The INFEWS call has 3 tracks (the 4th track from last year has been cancelled) (see the RFP for additional information):
- FEW System Modeling
- Visualization and Decision Support for Cyber-Human-Physical Systems at the FEW Nexus, and
- Research to Enable Innovative Solutions
Keywords: food, energy, water, cyber
Limitations: An individual PI, co-PI, senior personnel or consultant cannot be on more than two proposals, cannot be on more than one proposal per track, can be a lead PI on only one proposal.
Solicitation Number: NSF 17-530