Professor of Business Strategy, HMSTrust Chair for Social Innovation, Melbourne Business School
Melbourne School of Business
- Senior Sustainability Scholar, Global Institute of Sustainability and Innovation
- Professor of Business Strategy, HMSTrust Chair for Social Innovation, Melbourne Business School
- Affiliated Faculty, Center for Biodiversity Outcomes, Global Institute of Sustainability and Innovation
Prior to joining Melbourne Business School, he was Dean’s Council Distinguished Scholar and Professor in the Department of Management of Arizona State University’s W. P. Carey School of Business, where he also held a courtesy appointment in the Department of Supply Chain Management. He was also an affiliate professor at the Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law and a Senior Sustainability Scholar at the Julie Ann Wrigley Global Institute of Sustainability, an affiliation he still holds. Prior to joining ASU, he spent 10 years at the University of Illinois, where he was a member of both the strategy and international business groups in the College of Business, with additional appointments in the College of Law and the Institute for Genomic Biology, where he was part of the BioBEL (Business, Economic and Legal Aspects of Biotechnology) research group.
He is an Associate Editor for the Strategic Management Journal and the Strategic Management Society’s new journal, Strategic Management Review. He serves on the Editorial Review Boards of Organization Science, Strategic Organization and Strategy Science.
His research, teaching and outreach interests are at the confluence of strategy, innovation, and globalisation. Much of his recent work has explored these issues in the context of sustainability, particularly clean energy.
- PhD, International Business, University of Michigan, 2001
- MS, Library and Information Science, University of Illinois, 1991
- BA, Japanese Studies and Mathematics, Earlham College, 1988