LightWorks pulls light-inspired research at ASU under one strategic framework.
Richard Van De Sanden
- Director, Dutch Institute for Fundamental Energy Research (DIFFER); Professor, Department of Applied Physics, Eindhoven University of Technology in the Netherlands
Since his appointment at the DIFFER Institute, Richard van de Sanden has focused his research on the physics and chemistry of plasma-surface interaction under extreme conditions and on research into the conversion of renewable energy into fuels and chemicals.
In this talk, van de Sanden will discuss the DIFFER Solar Fuels...
- Director, Australian Solar Thermal Research Institute (ASTRI)
- Team Leader, Solar Thermal Processes at CSIRO
Australia has world-class solar resources but has yet to take advantage of this potential energy source. The Australian Solar Thermal Research Initiative (ASTRI) is led by the CSIRO and has six partner universities. Through highly targeted research programs, ASTRI aims to deliver the next wave of cost reductions for solar...
- Managing Director, Reiner Lemoine Institute
The Federal Republic of Germany has drastically transformed its energy system over the last 20 years. From a lignite and hard coal-producing nuclear energy country, Germany now holds a renewable energy portfolio of around 100 Gigawatts of wind and solar PV. The talk explores the drivers for this transformation and...
Ellen B. Stechel
- Co-Director, ASU LightWorks®
- Professor of Practice, School of Molecular Sciences
- Senior Sustainability Scientist, Arizona State University
Hydrogen is an emerging industry with significant potential to deliver economic opportunity from wealth creation and jobs, fuel security, and environmental benefits to many regions in the world. The International Energy Agency estimates that the global market for hydrogen will reach $215 billion by 2022. Australia has committed to investing...
Ellen B. Stechel
- Co-Director, LightWorks®
- Professor of Practice, School of Molecular Sciences. Arizona State University
- Senior Sustainability Scientist, Julie Ann Wrigley Global Institute of Sustainability, Arizona State University
Please join us for breakfast in Honolulu for a discussion with local experts exploring the role of hydrogen in the transition to clean energy and clean transportation. We'll also hear from special guest, Ellen B. Stechel from Arizona State University LightWorks®, about the concept of a new carbon economy and...
- CEO and Chairman of Dropworks, Inc.
Chris Perkins is the CEO and Chairman of Dropworks, Inc., which he founded with academic partners from Arizona State University in 2016.
Prior to leading Dropworks, Chris worked in the renewable energy space. He founded Copernican Energy in 2006 to develop solar-based approaches to biofuel production, which he sold to Sundrop...
- Julie Ann Wrigley Global Institute of Sustainability Board Director
- Founding Partner, Kepos Capital
- Founder, Prime Coalition
- CEO, Midwestern BioAg
- National Council for Science and the Environment Board Director
- Director, Center for Negative Carbon Emissions, Arizona State University
- Associate Director, Policy at Carbon180
The energy transition is already creating new wealth with solar and wind power. The transition to a low-carbon economy will present an even bigger investment opportunity. Technologies do not invent themselves and this transition requires innovation on a significant scale
This workshop will consider how government, philanthropy, and private capital can...
- Managing Partner, GenesysOne Capital
- Founder, ImpactX Labs
- Treasurer, American Renewable Energy Institute
- Adjunct Professor, Anderson Business School, University of California-Los Angeles
- Founder, Moeco
- Founder, Woodenshark
- Founder, AINTSYS
Blockchain technology has captivated our imagination in a way that few technologies had since the birth of the Internet 30 years ago. There is a feverishness in the press about distributed ledgers and their applications, from crypto-currencies to crypto-kitties. Everyone seems to have an opinion on where this ecosystem of...
Matthew T. McDonnell
- Commission Counsel, State of Hawaii Public Utilities Commission
Please join LightWorks® and the Energy Policy Innovation Council (EPIC) for a conversation with Matthew T. McDonnell, a top attorney at the Hawaii Public Utilities Commission, whose work includes helping to implement Hawaii’s nation-leading 100 percent Renewable Portfolio Standard, addressing the state’s electric vehicle roadmap, and facilitating the ongoing performance-based...
- President, Borincana Foundation
- Managing Partner, CrossRiver Capital
- Founding Partner, US Renewables Group
Virtually all modern social, economic, and political systems rely first and foremost on a robust and stable energy infrastructure. This is Puerto Rico’s most glaring weakness laid bare by Hurricanes Irma and Maria. But the devastation of infrastructure wrought by these storms, the failure of the government-owned utility, and the...
Rear Admiral Leendert "Len" Hering Sr.
- U.S. Navy (retired)
Rear Admiral Leendert "Len" Hering Sr. USN (retired) is a prominent military and civilian sustainability leader with a broad background in energy and environmental issues. His passion is to educate people on the dangers of not taking action to secure the nation’s energy independence and to preserve water, air quality...
- Managing Director, The Roda Group
In this talk, Dan Miller explains his journey towards paying more attention to climate change and how he believes this country can lead the world to reduce the impacts of climate change. Miller looks at why humans are less likely to believe that climate change is occurring and describes that...
How can the utility, auto, tech and defense industries help modernize the aging power grid to make it more secure and responsive to the needs of its users, while enhancing environmental performance? With a focus on national security, economic prosperity, and environmental justice, Current Revolution shows how the...
- Assistant Professor, School of Sustainability, Arizona State University
- Assistant Professor, School of Geographical Sciences and Urban Planning, Arizona State University
Battery electric vehicles (BEVs) are an important pathway for decarbonizing transportation and reducing petroleum dependence. Although one barrier to adoption is the higher purchase price, advocates suggest that fuel and maintenance savings can make BEVs economical over time.
In this talk, we will discuss a five-year Total Cost of Ownership for...
- Associate Professor, Department of Physics, Shanghai University
In this talk, Fei Xu will show the temperature-dependent initial and steady state PV characteristics of PSC and investigate the carrier transport mechanisms by using experimental methods, such as temperature-dependent external quantum efficiency, temperature-dependent photoluminescence, temperature-dependent absorbance spectroscopy, and temperature-dependent electroabsorption. These findings may help understanding of the mechanism of...