Discovery Cafe: Food Environment / Food Choice
Dr. Christopher Wharton
- Senior Sustainability Scientist, Global Institute of Sustainability
- Teaching Faculty, School of Sustainability
- Assistant Professor, College of Nursing and Health Innovation
Join ASU nutrition researcher Christopher Wharton to discuss the impact of food environment on food choice.
- How does the current food environment promote overconsumption of the least healthy foods?
- What factors influence our decisions about what to eat, when to eat, and how much to eat?
- What can we do in the community to create a healthy, accessible food environment for all?
Dr. Wharton is an assistant professor of nutrition at Arizona State University. He studies food systems, food policy, and the impact of the food environment on community food security. He is particularly interested in how local foods programs, such as farmers markets and community supported agriculture, can expand access to healthy foods for low-income individuals who participate in food assistance programs.
March 29, 2012