The Future of Nukes: Pandora's Promise or Peril?
- President, Breakthrough Institute
- Julie A. Wrigley Private Sector Executive In-Residence, School of Sustainability, ASU
- Senior Sustainability Scientist, Global Institute of Sustainability, ASU
- Professor, School of Earth and Space Exploration and Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, ASU
- Visiting Assistant Professor, School of Social Transformation and Change and Consortium for Science, Policy and Outcomes, ASU
- Associate Director, Consortium for Science, Policy and Outcomes and Associate Professor, Department of Political Science, ASU
This Case Critical will spark conversation about thorium reactors and their potential to help end our dependence on fossil fuels. Panelists include Michael Shellenberger, featured in the controversial film Pandora’s Promise and a thought leader in climate-change policy and energy options; Ariel Anbar, a biogeochemist interested in the past and future evolution of Earth as a habitable planet; John Hofmeister, the former president of Shell Oil now focused on energy security solutions for the nation; and Jennifer Richter, whose works centers on nuclear energy and waste technologies and policies. Read about the recent controversy surrounding the film and its call for a nuclear future here and here.
Please attend the free film screening of Pandora’s Promise later that day.
12:00 - 1:30 p.m.