The Center for Biodiversity Outcomes is involved with variety of activities and opportunities designed to advance the mutual biodiversity goals of the Center and the International Union for Coservation of Nature (IUCN). Led by a subcommittee and key faculty affiliates, these activities and opportunities include:
Key Biodiversity Area (KBA) Standards
- Collaborating with the IUCN on an analysis of transboundary Key Biodiversity Areas (areas with complex governance structures, such as an area spanning two countries).
- Working with the IUCN Joint Species Survival Commission/World Commission on Protected Areas and the National Marine Fisheries Service to align the Important Marine Mammal Area initiative and support pilot Key Biodiversity Area identification for marine mammals.
- Developing a project for Key Biodiversity Area identification in the Sonoran Desert and Gulf of California under the new IUCN Standard.
Red List Assessments
- Helping to complete the IUCN Red List (RL) assessments for marine fishes from the Eastern Central Atlantic.
- Developing a work plan to complete RL assessments for dolphins and whales.
- Partnering with the Phoenix Zoo and the IUCN Species Survival Commission’s Small Carnivore and Lagomorph Specialist Groups.
- Training and supporting students who work on species RL assessments across these taxonomic groups.
- Contributing to IUCN’s Green List (an assessment of protected area success)
- Collaborating on ways Key Biodiversity Areas can be used to measure biodiversity return on investment for corporate investors
- Creating an Red List and Key Biodiversity Area training program at Arizona State University
- International Union for the Conservation of Nature Species Survival Commission
- Desert Botanical Garden
- Phoenix Zoo
- International Union for the Conservation of Nature Marine Mammal Protected Area Task Force
- NOAA National Marine Fisheries Service
- The Nature Conservancy
- NCEAS Science for Nature and People
- Wildlife Conservation Society
NCEAS Science and Nature for People program
Center for Biodiversity Outcomes