Tell us your climate story
Each of us is part of Earth’s climate story. Here is a chance to tell your own.
Are you seeing – or feeling – the effects of climate change? Does it affect a place you love? Why does it matter? What do you think can be done about it? What do you think should be done about it? Tell us your climate story.
Simply record a video of yourself discussing a certain place, event or people who are part of your story. Include images, or if you’re feeling creative, include abstract or artistic content such as a poem, painting or music (but make sure you have the rights to use that material!).
What’s in it for you
We will select two winners – the Public’s Favorite and the ASU Climate Story Champion. The Public’s Favorite will be determined by the number of likes your story gets on the ASU Wrigley Institute’s YouTube Channel. The ASU Climate Story Champion will be selected by students, faculty and staff affiliated with sustainability at ASU.
The winning videos will be featured on our website, and prizes include the epic climate fiction anthology “Loosed Upon the World” and delicious Campus Harvest dates.
How to enter in 5 easy steps
- Record a short video (1-3 minutes) of your own climate story.
- Use one or more of the story prompts, below.
- Upload your video to YouTube, Vimeo or another website that we can access.
- If you are using YouTube, please select “public” or “unlisted” from the privacy menu.
- If you are using Vimeo, please choose “anyone” from the “who can view” privacy menu.
- If you are using another platform, please ensure that the video is viewable without an account or password.
- Name your video.
- The video title should include “ASU Climate Stories:” and a descriptive subtitle.
(For example, “ASU Climate Stories: The washed-out bike path.”)
- Describe your video.
- Be sure to include your name, city and state. If yours is an international submission, include your country.
- You might also choose to include your Twitter handle, if you have one.
- Email the link to SustainableSunDevil@asu.edu.
- Be sure to send from an email address that you regularly use.
Story prompts to get you started
Use one of these questions to get you started on telling your climate story.
- What in your local environment or community is special to you?
- What specific changes have you seen or experienced in the places you care about?
- How does climate change make you feel?
- How do you imagine the future?
- What advice would you give to the world about climate change?
- What changes are you making in your own life and/or in your community to combat climate change?
The fine print
- Deadline for video submissions is October 31, 2016.
- Any student, faculty or staff member of ASU is eligible to participate.
- Participants may submit up to three entries.
- People’s Choice entries must be uploaded to YouTube.
- ASU Climate Story Champion entries may be uploaded to YouTube, Vimeo or another website that can be publicly accessed.
- All entries must include your name, city and state. International submissions must include country.
- Once uploaded, a link to the video entry must be emailed to SustainableSunDevil@asu.edu.
- Your email submission gives ASU the right to use your video for sustainability-related purposes and communication, e.g., post it on ASU web pages, or show it during ASU events.
- You retain the right to post the video elsewhere and to submit it to other projects and competitions. In fact, we would like to encourage you to do so. For example, you could participate in additional projects including: